Sunday, November 18, 2007

Podcasts: learning using technology





Dear all,


today I'm gonna talk about podcasts. We have been asked finding, at least, three mp3 files we found useful in improving our listening skills. First of all searching these websites was a very hard work for me because I never entered such sites! After long hours here's what I found and what I'm glad to share with you all:





As you can see clicking on the links above, I was mainly interested in business conversations because of the lack of information I have in this field. To be more precise the first two sites are a sort of on-line guide conceived for helping learners of English as a second language; here you find great suggestions to face some typical business situations properly, such as talkig about your business in the future and placing a business order. My list ends with a link to an interesting website dealing with news in English; it provides simple, daily news casts in order to improve lerners' listening skills.

I'm always discovering new things and podcast is probably the best tool I learned so far: audio files are excellent in helping who need correcting prononciation and comprehension. Don't you think so?

Peers I'm waiting for all your comments!

See you,

alessia

6 comments:

Marta T. said...

Hi Alessia!
I think that podcasts are very useful.. I found websites for business English too...

See u in the lab

The Ghellers said...

Hi Alessia,
I had the same difficulties you highlighted in your post: I’ve never entered this kind of websites so I felt a little bewildered too!
I liked your choices very much. I think that one of my week points is business English so I really appreciated the first two sites you put. I think that if you practice regularly, you can really improve not only your listening skills but also your speaking skills (especially vocabulary, idiomatic expression, grammar structures). The sites you bookmarked are really well organized and clear because they’re conceived for English learners.
I listen to the episode about "talking about your Business future" in Odeo, wow! I really enjoyed it!
See you...
Stefania

p.s. There are three little spelling mistakes! :-)

caterina_luison said...

Hi Alessia!!!
I like your choices becuase I think that a possible future for us is in the world of business or economy....and I hope that we could speak in English!!! The first link is the best one....I noticed that a pair of you, peers, had chosen it. Odeo is simple, well written and useful also from the point of view of grammar help. I hope that after this week we'll continue to download these podcasts because they are really a new important way to learn English. Thank you iPod!!!!
bye bye!!

Roby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roby said...

Hi Alessia!
I linked to the first podcast you suggested, that is, to "Business trends".
Listening to it, I found that the pronunciation is rather slow, so that, even people who have some listening difficulties, can easily understand. I noticed the audio file was divided into two main parts: the first one, shorter than the second, presented the topic; the second provided definitions and explanations of the business key-words used. In the transcription (transcription only of the first part) you could find in the website, these key-words were in bold in order to call listeners’ attention. I think this last device is good to better learn and remember the specific business vocabulary!

giovisperotto said...

Hi Alessia,
I noticed you suggested some websites that provide dialogues about business. I think that they are more or less like those dialogues English learners can find in those dvds they can buy in the bookshop! But by using podcasts in the net, we don't have to pay anything, just listen whenever we want to and practice our skills.
I agree with Caterina when she said that she's going to download podcasts in the future, as well. We need to listen to many dialogues and discussions as possible to increase our knowledge!
See you tomorrow!
Giovi