Monday, November 26, 2007

Reflecting on YouTube.com

Girls,

This week I came across a new and endless tool: Youtube.com Suddenly a completely new world appeared in front of my eyes: a huge list of videos dealing with any kind of topic, from all over the world. Something bizarre, don’t you think? I searched a great number of words in English and French putting tags in the search bar; well, I always found a video dealing with what I was looking for…this activity was funnier than last weeks!

I think that the most incredible thing is that this site enables users to share their own experiences with people all over the planet; as a matter of fact you aren’t a passive observer of what is going on because you can leave a comment getting in touch with somebody who lives really far from you. And what about “private” groups linking a close number of persons? I think this is a considerable advantage for people living abroad of being in direct contact with their own families.

As educational tool Youtube is great as well: if you are looking for chunks of conversations, movies or simple monologues in English, here you are able to find what you need; for a languages student, as we all are, there’s nothing better than listening at these things. Obviously all that glitters is not gold: among all this good things I found a sort of rubbish dump made up of meaningless videos, sometimes even morally harmful, which have nothing to do with all the things I mentioned above; personally I think that all depends on the way this tool is exploited.

Well girls I’m really waiting for reading all your comments!

yours alessia

4 comments:

Roby said...

Dear Alessia,
I think that we-all appreciate what technology can offer us, I mean, the chance (in spite of geographical distance which divides us or other obstacles) to share our ideas and our life, and to meet in a virtual space.
Of course, there is also the other side of the coin: as you wrote, you can run across rubbish! Unfortunately we run this risk everyday, beginning from TV where trash programmes are too many by half! What we simply need is to be critical!!
See you!

The Ghellers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ghellers said...

I think that the most meaningful sentence you wrote is: "all that glitters is not gold". I completely agree with this statement. Even though using YouTube I started to appreciate its potentialities, I still think it's not an educational site.
I mean, it's difficult to scan all the materials and find out those ones which can help us to learn a language.
stefania

caterina_luison said...

Hi Alessia....YouTube is a sort of jungle...you have to search if you want to find out something intelligent. As Roby said, you need to be critical. But in the end, YouTube is good to listen to speaking in English, but there are better ways to learn a language.
What can be important is the opportunity to write comments and to interact with other people. Have you ever tried??

See you!!!